Friday, July 16, 2010

You learn a lot by listening

You can really learn a lot about a person if you'd just take the time to listen. Unfortunately, these days it seems like people care more about talking about themselves than they do about actually getting to know and understand other people. I am a naturally shy person. Of course, when I'm around my close friends I come out of my shell, but in a group of people I don't know, I am most comfortable sitting by myself. I don't mind sitting alone and just not talking to anyone; It doesn't bother me one bit. Many people find it strange that someone would be comfortable sitting alone in a room full of people without talking to anyone, but I have found that you can learn a lot by just watching and listening to other people. It also works well when there are just two people together. For instance, a guy and a girl. Why in the world would you ever want to go on a date with a person and only talk about yourself? It seems utterly insane to me, to go on a date with someone, where the whole point is to get to know that person, and only talk about yourself and never stop to ask a question about the other person. It seems to me that many people don't even care. They would rather hear them self talk rather than inquire about your life. And if they do ask, well, they probably don't really care about your answer. They just want you to say something every once in a while. Maybe I'm not a super exciting person to be around, but when I ask a question about your life or what's going on with you, I genuinely care about the answer. I will be there to listen to you, but what is the point in having friends, if they never take the time to listen to and learn about what's happening in your life? Many people have that one thing they look for in their "significant other" and I can tell you right now that my "one thing" that my future husband will HAVE to possess is the quality of listening to me and really caring about what I have to say. I want him to actually enjoy listening to me! I want him to ask questions and genuinely be concerned about what I'm saying! Whether it be about my day, the fight I had with my mom, the outfit I saw at the store or what I had for lunch! I will know for sure when "the one" comes along and won't even have to second guess myself because he will do all those things. I believe every person could be a little less selfish and a little more caring about other people. If you really care about someone...listen to them. Just take to time to SHUT UP and maybe, just maybe, they'll open up their heart and share with you like friends should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment