Monday, July 5, 2010

Life is Short

Yesterday was July 4th. Around 1 pm I was cleaning and getting ready for some friends to come over to hang out and do fireworks. I was texting all my friends to let them know what time to come over and it was then that one of my very best friends told me that her 21 year old cousin, John, had died in a car accident at 6 o'clock that very morning. I did not even hardly know John. I had maybe met him once or twice in passing and even Mandy was not extremely close to him, but I felt a deep sadness for his family and those close to him. I have an older brother who is 22 and cannot imagine what I would do if something happened to him all of a sudden like that. I hear on the news about people dying in car accidents every single day but this time, actually knowing who the person was, made it a lot more real. It just made me realize how little we think about life and death. We are not guaranteed tomorrow or even the next hour! I am sure as John was driving home yesterday morning he was thinking about what he would be doing that day to celebrate the Fourth of July, not IF he would live to see it. I assume way to much in my life. I assume that I will live for at least sixty or seventy more years. I assume that I will get married and have children and I assume that my parents will live long enough to be grandparents to my children. I also assume that I will have plenty of time to straighten out my life a couple years down the road. I tell myself that I will start living the way God wants me to live after I graduate from college. Before college I told myself that I would do what God wanted me to do when I graduated from high school or when I got to college. God will still be there for me when I graduate college just like He was when I graduated from high school but there is no guarantee that I will still be here. Life is too short to put off the things that are important. If feel that there is something God wants me to do, then I should feel more of an urgency to live for Him and follow His will and His plan for my life. I may die when I am an old lady. Or I could die tomorrow, but either way, I will be ready and leave no regrets if I am doing the Lord's will and following His plan for my life. God never wants bad things to happen to people but I believe He can always bring something good out of every situation. I hope that this accident was a wake-up call to many people because it definitely was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment