Sunday, July 11, 2010

Godly Love



One of my very best friends, Lauren Horne, got married yesterday. Lauren and I have been close friends since the eighth grade. I love her like a sister and was thrilled when she called and told me that she was engaged. That was about six months ago and she and all her close friends could not wait until the day she would walk down the aisle. Finally, the day arrived and before we knew it we were all standing up on the stage with Lauren and Patrick as they said their vows. I was the maid of honor and this gave me a great view of Lauren and Patrick during the ceremony, but as they turned and faced one another, I could only see Patrick's eyes. As I watched Patrick say his vows to Lauren, it was all I could do to keep from crying, because I saw a deep love and passion in his eyes as he looked at Lauren. It wasn't a lustful or infatuated love, but a truly godly love that filled his eyes and I know filled his heart as well. Both Lauren and Patrick got emotional as they pledged their lives to one another and it touched me how seriously they took the words they said to each other. Just watching the two of them this past weekend shows me not only how much they care about one another and their relationship, but that their priority in their relationship is God. I don't know Patrick that well but each time I am around him, I see what an outstanding man of God and true gentleman he is.

I saved a letter that Lauren wrote me back when we first started college. In fact, it was the first month we were in college. I was at the University of Mobile and she was at Mississippi State University, of course. The first letter described how she first was introduced to Patrick the first week she was at college and and how this "cute guy" (being Patrick) sat by her at Zaxby's. Well, the second letter kind of scared me a little. She told me that she knows people say this a lot but "he really could be the one" talking about Patrick and went on to reassure me that she was "serious as a heart attack and you know I wouldn't just say that about anyone." My first thought was " Oh gosh Lauren...You're going to go to college and fall for the first guy you meet and then get your heart broken." I was honestly worried about her because at this point I had never met Patrick and didn't know what kind of guy he was or anything about him. Looking back on that now, I realize that God brought Lauren and Patrick together and He had and still has a special plan for them. I know for a fact that Lauren and Patrick put God first throughout their dating relationship and their engagement and He has blessed them and I know He will continue to bless them for being faithful to Him. I have learned a lot from talking with Lauren about her relationship with Patrick and with God and I will continue to look to her for advice. I will also compare my future boyfriends to Patrick because I know he loves the Lord and will be a great leader in his and Lauren's marriage and family.
I wish Lauren and Patrick the very best in their marriage. If they put God first in their marriage like they have done in their relationship, I know God will continue to bless them beyond their imagination. I just can't wait to see what God will do next!

2 comments:

  1. hannah! this made me cry happy tears! this is so sweet and you are so right!! :) it just goes to show that if we are faithful to God, He will bless us beyond what we can imagine! i love you so much little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete