Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Mom


If you were to ask me who my best friend is, I would, without a doubt, tell you my mom. Just like any best friends, my mom and I have arguments and get mad at each other. But if I ever have a problem and need to talk it out with someone, or if something exciting happens and I can’t wait to share it with someone, my mom is always the first person I go to. My relationship with my mom is a rare one. We can laugh and cry together, and even when we are mad at one another, I know that she will always be there for me.
When I was little, my mom would buy us matching dresses from a catalog. We loved to go shopping together, and still do! My mom always wants me to look cute and stylish, and I probably let her dress me longer than most girls, but she has always made sure I was dressed nicely. Although, one occasion I remember vividly when she made me wear something that she thought was cute and I thought was horrible. When I was in kindergarten, I had a big, fluffy dress. I mean, this thing was as fluffy and frilly as it gets! It looked like a dress a southern belle would wear back in the 1800’s. I actually wore it later in the year when I played Miss Muffett in our kindergarten play! My mom held me while I cried outside my classroom. I was so embarrassed about having to wear that fluffy dress and mom just thought it was the cutest thing. She has since apologized for the emotional trauma she caused me.
My mom and I love to have a good laugh. I remember once when I was about 16 or 17 and I wanted my mom to highlight my hair. I had everything ready to go and really wanted her to do it that night. Mom, on the other hand, was tired and wanted to go to bed. I had already put the cap on, which is a plastic shower-cap looking cap that completely covers your head. We got into a heated argument because she had said she would do it and I wanted her to do it then. I was very upset and was angrily fussing at her when she just started laughing. The fact that she was laughing made me even madder, but she was laughing so hard that it was difficult not to start laughing too. Once she gained her composure, she said that I just looked so funny arguing with her with that cap on my head! Whether it’s doing a funny dance in the kitchen, or wearing an elephant hat in a store, we always find something to laugh about. Getting older, I’ve taken on much more responsibility and that makes life all the more serious and stressful. Knowing that I have my mom to lean on and laugh with is a tremendous help and blessing. I don’t know what I would do if I was unable to talk to my mom every day.
Over the years, I’ve had the watched my mom become more and more devoted to her daily Bible reading and prayer. She sets an amazing example through her devotion to prayer and studying God’s word. I love to find her notes of encouragement on my bed or in my car. She always seems to know exactly when I need them most.
Obviously, just like most others, my mom taught me many important things, but my mom has taught me many things that only a special woman can. She has taught me how to be hospitable and courteous. She has taught me proper etiquette and tact. She has taught me how to act like a lady, but still be strong and independent. She has shown me what a good mother and wife looks like. Through my mom’s life experiences, she has been able to give me advice on things that only she could understand. There is a lot of advice that I wish I would have listened to when she gave it to me a few years ago. My mom had to put up with my attitude and grumpy ways for a good bit of my teenage years. I know it was hard on her because we had such a close relationship and then all of a sudden I just hid out in my room all the time. I’m glad my mom doesn’t hold a grudge or stay bitter or hurt for very long because, even though I’m stupid sometimes, I always need my mom! Things are much different now. I love hanging out with my mom! Maybe I can make up for my stupid teen years now! I hope I can be as good a mom as my mom is to me. If my daughter thinks of me with only half the respect, love and gratitude as I do of my mom, I think I will have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment